Due September 13th (Wednesday)
This project gives you a chance to poke around the Xinu source code a bit. You will locate the source code
where the Xinu logo, welcome message, and shell name appear,
and change it to something else.
Complete the following items:
- Fire up your VirtualBox development machine, and log in with the password 'xinurocks'.
- In a terminal window on that machine, run the command 'sudo minicom', then retype the password. This will
it in a mode where it is waiting for output from a machine running Xinu.
- Fire up your VirtualBox backend machine, and observe the output from minicom back on the development
machine. Notice it prints
a Xinu logo/image, a welcome message, and leaves you at the Xinu shell prompt (xsh).
- Search through the Xinu source code (located in /home/xinu/xinu/), and locate the file(s) that contain those
three items. They may be in a .c file, a .h file, or both.
- Change them to reflect a new operating system name of your choosing (using either your name or something
else of your choosing). For an example, see what I did in the image below.
- After changing them, recompile Xinu by navigating to /home/xinu/xinu/compile/ in another terminal (you can
leave minicom running). Then run 'make clean', followed by 'make'. Hopefully you will not see any errors.
- Move back to the backend machine, and restart it (Machine -> Reset). Make sure that your changes worked by
observing the minicom window back over on the development machine.
To submit, compress/zip all your Xinu source code files ( located in /home/xinu/xinu/), name it "project1", and
to Moodle by the due date.